Leader of the Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna (JVP)-led National People’s Power (NPP) of the Parliamentary Opposition, Anura Kumara Dissanayake, has called on the Government to resign to prevent further deterioration of the country.
Addressing a demonstration organised by the NPP in Colombo on Monday (31 July), the Opposition MP claimed that his party is ready to take on the responsibility of governing the country.
“Do we have to wait until the Government loots the funds deducted from our salaries? We should not allow that to happen. What has the Government done with the loans obtained under the guise of construction projects? They have completed projects by utilising 25% of those funds while looting the remaining 75%. That is why this country has been bankrupted. After bankrupting the country, they are attempting to loot the Employees’ Provident Fund and the Employees’ Trust Fund of the people. How much longer do we need to be patient? The working people must take the lead against these actions. My request to the Government is simple: Please leave now without further deteriorating this country. The NPP is ready to take the responsibility of leading this country along with the people,” Dissanayake claimed.